Happiness comes in LARGE packages

Happiness comes in LARGE packages
me+you=us

Hello Friends

I'm so thrilled you stopped by to check out my new blog. Grab a cup of coffee (or a martini) and read all about our trials and tribs. Hope you get a good look at what life's like inside the zoo!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Potty Training Stepping Stones


The dreaded training begins........


So, Andrew is now 3, can you believe its August 8, 2005...oh that heavenly day that Mr. Roo made his way into our arms. We have faced many challenges with the little stinker bug and I was sure that POTTY TRAINING would be no different.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I had been toying with the idea of potty training for months. (Josh seems to place me among those who procrastinate) I would often ask Andrew if he needed to use the potty.... even going as far as purchasing a "special" potty chair that plays MUSIC when he goes "pee-pee' or "poo-poo" ~~~~~~~he continuously proclaimed "NO!"


So, I put it off (hence the procrastination)


Until one day (like most others)...I was on the Internet and and I saw an advertisement for an all dreaded potty training book. So without hesitation (no procrastinating this time) I purchased the e~book and frantically started to read it. The next day, (Tuesday) Josh and I took Andrew on a special shopping trip where he picked out a watch and 4 packs of "BIG BOY UNDERWEAR"

We told Andrew that on Wednesday he was going to start using his potty chair and that he was going to be able to wear his new underwear. He was so excited the he wanted to start right THEN!

Ummmmmmm.......well OK!

To make a long story less long..........ANDREW is............
pOttY tRaiNed!
So....here are some KEY steps that worked for us:
1.No More Diapers! A pull-up is still a diaper. ONLYuse a diaper at naps and at bedtime if needed.
2. A special shopping trip for BIG BOY/GIRL undies
3. A timer (we used a watch with a self timer) or microwave timer......set timer to 20 minutes, when timer goes off, it's time to sit on the potty. Even if they don't go, they are still getting in the habbit of sitting on the potty. Don't make them stay past 3 minutes if they can't go.(They will eventually go....yeah!) And then you can start increasing the amount of time in between "Potty Trips" (20 min. 40 min. 60 min.) You have to remind them consistantly.
4. Books- Josh and I spent ALOT of time in the bathroom reading books to Andrew while he sat on the potty.
5. Use specific words for "pee-pee" and "poo-poo" (whatever those words are is up to you) don't just say "potty"
6. PATIENCE!
guess what......even Noah (1 1/2) is sitting on the potty now....he hasn't gone yet....but it's a start!
======SWEET SUCCESS!=======

No comments: